5.27.2013

Fast(ing) Food - Veggie Scramble with Goat Cheese

Day 52, Fast Day #25

I weighed in a couple times this morning just to make sure I wasn't going crazy. I managed to drop another pound, for a total of 17 lbs lost. It probably helps I didn't overeat like crazy yesterday (2,077 kcal).

Zach and I have the day off today for Memorial Day, so I got to cook a hot meal for my fast day lunch, instead of the salad and soup I usually eat on fast days at work. The result was me whipping up this Mexican-inspired scramble. The goat cheese and cilantro balance the spice from the cayenne pepper, but one could make this recipe without the goat cheese to shave off calories. One can also use sour cream instead of goat cheese. I am lactose-intolerant though and prefer the creaminess of goat cheese. This scramble turned out so good that Zach and I were nearly licking our plates:

Veggie Scramble with Goat Cheese (Yields 2 big servings) ~424 kcal/serving
Takes 30 minutes
  • 1 red potato with skin, diced ~150 kcal
  • half of a onion (I used a yellow one), diced ~30 kcal
  • half of a medium-sized bell pepper (I used a yellow one) diced ~10 kcal
  • 1 Roma tomato, diced ~35 kcal
  • 1 cup of spinach, chopped ~7 kcal
  • 4 large eggs ~294 kcal
  • 60 grams of soft goat cheese (two servings of the one we used) ~160 kcal
  • 1/3 cup of cilantro, chopped ~1 kcal (optional)
  • 4 tsp of extra virgin olive oil  ~160 kcal
  • 1/4 tsp or to taste of red cayenne pepper ~1 kcal
  • 1 tsp or to taste Adobo seasoning (a mix of salt, garlic, cumin, oregano, and black pepper)
Heat the olive oil in a large pan on medium heat. Add potatoes and cook for about 10 minutes. I also put a lid on them between stirs, to soft them up a little quicker. Stir occasionally.

Add in the onions and peppers, cook until the potatoes are tender, about 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

While the potatoes are softening, beat the eggs in a bowl. Add the Adobo seasoning and cayenne pepper.

Add in the tomatoes and spinach. Cook and stir until spinach starts to wilt.

Add the beaten and seasoned eggs. Scramble up the mixture until the eggs are cooked through.

Plate the scramble and top with goat cheese and cilantro. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment