4.22.2013

Fast(ing) Food - Spicy Pan-Fried Shrimp & Tex-Mex Rice with Corn and Beans

Day 17, Fast Day #9

Sticking to 800 calories for my mother's birthday dinner didn't really worked out like I had imagined it to in my head. I ate more like 1,100 calories on Saturday. This is what happens when a loaf of fresh, crusty bread gets put in front of me when I haven't eaten in 20 hours. To be fair though, I would have eaten way more than 1,100 calories without any restriction.

I also went a bit overboard yesterday on my feast day since it was a good friend's birthday. We took her out to a hard cider bar in Portland and then to one of our favorite 24-hour greasy spoons at midnight. Eggs benedict happened. Then Zach's mother made us an apple pie (which one cannot say "no" to) so we ate a slice of that for second breakfast. Then actual lunch time rolled around and we had yet another breakfast. This time I had french toast. Zach's wonderful mother also made me a chocolate cake for my birthday, since my actual birthday is Wednesday. Did I mention there was a potato salad snack? There is a reason I had a mere salad when we got home for dinner. So I ended up slightly surpassing 3,200 calories yesterday.  Yikes.

As you can imagine, I really did not want to step on the scale this morning. Especially since I peeked at the numbers midday on Sunday after I had eaten and I had gained 5 lbs. Well the good news is that I gained no net weight this weekend and am still at a total of 9 lbs lost. I made no progress, but I also did not gain anything.

Today's fast day is already starting out pretty brutal since I am going back to 500 calories today. However, I have a yummy lunch to look forward to. These recipes are also very easy:
Spicy Pan-Fried Shrimp (Yields 3 servings) ~181 kcal/serving
Takes 70-75 minutes (if marinating for 60 minutes)
  • 1 lb of shrimp (this will taste better with raw shrimp, but I was cheap, lazy, and tired when I made this at 10pm last night) so I got the pre-cooked, deveined, no shell medium-sized shrimp) (~308 kcal)
Marinade:
  • 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (~120 kcal)
  • the juice of one large lime, you can substitute with a couple tbsps of lemon or lime juice out of the bottle (~15 kcal)
  • 1 tbsp minced garlic, or a few fresh cloves minced (~15 kcal)
  • one half of a 7 oz can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (this is normally found in the "International" aisle of my grocery store), chopped, include the sauce in the marinade (~60 kcal)
  • a handful of chopped cilantro, no stems (I love cilantro) (~3 kcal)
  • 1 tbsp paprika (~20 kcal)
  • a dash of cayenne pepper (~1 kcal)
  • a dash of pepper (not even a calorie)
  • a pinch of kosher salt (not even a calorie)
  • a couple dashes of red pepper flakes - optional (not even a calorie)
If you are using frozen shrimp and do not know how to thaw them, look at my last shrimp recipe. Thaw shrimp and start any shrimp prep first.

If you have a low tolerance for chile spice, feel free to ease off some of the marinade ingredients or marinate for less time. I like my food spicy.

Mix all of the marinade ingredients together in a large bowl. Toss in defrosted and towel dried shrimp.

Let the shrimp get happy in the marinade for an hour or two in your fridge. (This will still taste good if you can only afford 30 minutes of marinade time.)

Heat up a frying pan or skillet on medium-high to high heat (my oven burners are powered by devil fire, so I use medium-high). Toss shrimp in hot pan. Cook and stir until shrimp are opaque. If you are using precooked shrimp like me, this will only take a couple minutes.

FOOD SAFETY TIP: Raw shrimp can carry salmonella like raw chicken. If you intend to use excess marinade it is very important to make sure your marinade reaches a boil in the pan for a bit and is reduced before using. You can also not use it.

Tex-Mex Rice with Corn and Beans (Yields 8 servings) ~103 kcal/serving
Takes 25-30 minutes.
This recipe is also SUPER cheap. About 50 cents a serving.
  • juice of one small lime, you can substitute with a couple tsps of lemon or lime juice out of the bottle (~10 kcal)
  • 1 regular-sized can of black beans, drained and rinsed well) (~385 kcal)
  • 1 regular-sized can of corn, drained (~210 kcal)
  • a couple dashes of ground cumin (not even a calorie)
  • a handful of chopped cilantro, no stems (I love cilantro) (~3 kcal)
  • Mexican-style hot sauce to taste,Tapatio or Cholula works well - optional (not even a calorie)
Rice Prep:
  • 1 regular-sized 8 oz box of yellow rice (I used Zatarain's) (~98 kcal)
  • water for rice prep (2 1/2 cups for Zatarain's, but use the amount of water on the box)
  • 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (I substituted the butter in the directions for olive oil) (~120 kcal)
Boil water and olive oil in a medium to large pot with lid. Add rice. Lower burner to a low-medium heat (3/10). Cook for 20-25 minutes.

It is important not to peek on the rice while it is cooking. Otherwise it will take longer because it needs the steam it has built up in the pot. When the rice is done, the water will be absorbed.

Fluff the rice (aka, stir it up, especially on the bottom and sides of the the pot where it sticks). Dump the corn, beans, cumin, cilantro, and hot sauce in the pot. Done.

No comments:

Post a Comment